PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Adelaide Tower
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2010, 09:08
Blockla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instead of wasting millions of dollars on this crap. Why don't they put an ILS on RWY05?
Different buckets I'm afraid...

But seriously there are many towers that in the modern world of OH&S aren't up to scratch; I think most of the towers around the country, with the exception of BN, SY, GC and PH are in the pipeline of being replaced (at some stage). The major costs for the 'upgrades' aren't the physical structures themselves, it's the new kit that's going inside them where the real costs escalate.

There are a few towers I've had the good fortune to visit that are close to being condemned. Mostly because of that certain white fibrous product... But think about it from a housing point of view, most towers were built in the 50's and 60's and have had little or no love since, they are dilapidated and need much 'renovators delight attention'. Melbourne tower is being replaced after just 35 years of life; how are the towers built 50 + years ago coping - answer not very well.

Does anyone know if they are relocating APP to the understructure of the tower, cause the current building there is also C.R.A.P.