PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage in EK
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2010, 08:58
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411A

When I WAS in short pants, simulators weren't cleared for zero flight time ops. All type conversions involved circiut bashing. Even my first two jet types involved circuit bashing. My next two didn't and it made no difference WHATSOEVER!

Funny thing is, you're stuck in a time warp. While many basics of aviation hold true, and I agree that good solid training is one of them, technology has advanced. Your B727 friend may well have exceptional handling skills. Aircraft such as that are ideal platforms to gain that sort of experience. The latest generation are not. I see it often when guys interview here. The older generation guys fly a great circuit but are clueless when it comes to FMC/ EFIS etc. They struggle the most during training and struggle the most on line. As aircraft are now designed with high levels of automation, it's only right that the training reflects this. If you don't understand what it's doing, how can you ever hope to operate it safely and efficiently.

So, as I said before, it takes far more than circuit bashing to make a more rounded pilot. I only need to spend the first half hour in the flight deck to know whether my colleague is ex air force, airline sponsored cadet, or, self improver. From my 'limited' 26 years experience, only one of these three is as near as possible to the complete 'rounded' package. I'll leave you decide which one you think it is! Can't wait.

Harry