PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Approach Question
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2010, 17:04
RAPA Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visual Approach Question

Hello ATCOs
We called visual and were given(and I cant remember the exact words) track towards right base. So we tracked towards right base and desended to 3000ft. Controller told us off as he hadn't given us a clearance for a visual approach so we shouldnt have descended. Fare enough hands up our mistake.

Then again the other day controller says cleared for the visual approach, I remembered my mistake from before and after a little thought I asked if we were clear to descend, No maintain altitude I'll call you. So we tracked towards the final approach track. After a minute we were given, Cleared unrestricted visual approach and in we went, no problem.

So my question is what should the clearence be? Cleared visual approach(altitude is still the ATCOs) or Cleared unrestricted visual approach (so altitude is mine)?

Sorry if this is a bit boring but both of us(experience crew) would like to know the answer in case something is missing in our training or theirs for that matter!!! And I can advise our other crew for future reference.

Cheers

RAPA.