PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Password protecting a memory stick
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2010, 13:44
eticket
cheerful pessimist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks,

I have zero experience of encryption but I have mastered creating and opening zip files.

I suspect that in the coming days I will have to encrypt / secure some Word / Excel / PDF files and send them off via e-mail. I also want to secure them on my Windows laptop and back-up memory stick in case they go for a walk.

The rub is that like me some of the people receiving these files won't be encryption experts and I have to presume that they won't be able to install any other software on their computers (Windows?). They may well be on a different continent so delivering them by hand is out. What I send must be simple for them to open and in a form that won't set off the anti-virus alarms etc. Knowing nothing about it I kinda imagine doing a zip like operation at my end and then phoning them up and giving them a password which they use to unlock the files once they have arrived?

This is to do with a fraud inquiry and at this stage I don't even know who I will be sending them off to, so I can't phone them up in advance. I would like to be in a position to have a simple working solution to the encryption / opening problem in advance.

Is this something that the recommended TrueCrypt can handle or is there another tool for the job?

Many thanks.

eticket