PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clothing issues
Thread: Clothing issues
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2010, 13:22
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wedding rings are another hazard especially for military pilots in my day. We were shown 'orrible photos of the skin completely stripped away from the wedding ring finger that had caught some part of the airframe during exit from an aeroplane in a hurry. My then new wife was most upset when I refused to wear the wedding ring she gave me citing her dark suspicions that I was after a bit on the side. Maybe - maybe not. Perish the thought I said to her

But I was cured of wearing a wedding ring when I fell out of the rear gun turret of a Lincoln (we were on the tarmac during an escape and evasion exercise and I was hiding in the rear turret when I was spotted). I jumped out and ran leaving a trail of blood from my ring finger where the ring partially caught on a metal bracket. It was from that point I never wore a wedding ring again.

Nylon socks were lethal in fires as was holes in the toe of socks. We were shown graphic pictures of a Spitfire pilot's burns and where one of his socks had a large hole, his toe was badly burnt. Same with nylon wrist-watch bands. The scars left by melting nylon in a fire looked awful. At the time they were standard RAAF issue in the late Fifties I happened to be a flight safety officer of the squadron I was in and had access to many flight safety magazines from the USN and USAF.

It was in one of those mags I saw my first photos of the results of nylon melting from a wrist watch band into the skin. Terrible stuff. I convinced the CO we should switch to metal wrist watch bands and eventually the nylon watch bands were replaced by metal "Bonclip" watch bands obtained from the Royal Air Force.

We soon discovered these too were hazardous, because they were too long and occasionally became unclipped and caught up in throttle levers. Happened to a Mirage pilot while he was in full afterburner during take off and he couldn't get the throttle back for a while.