PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2010, 22:04
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
It is stated that `power-down` on the Stans was at 16.59.10 Z, and that this is `impact time`.However, the AAIB reports that the `power` switch was in the OFF position,but is not mentioned in the RACAL report. So,there is also no mention in the AAIB report about the times on the clocks on the aircraft instrument panel, no mention whatsoever,which I find difficult to believe,as in a lot of accidents,the clock can give a good indication of corroborating impact.Again , there were possibly another 29 watches on the crew/pax(assumption) which can confirm that to a reasonable degree,but no mention either. Is it important ? Well ,it may be to determine if there is/was the possibility that the crew turned off the Stans,or whether the impact actually did that....
Furthe in the summary of the BOI,para 45,Discussion of Altimeter setting,AnnexP, it is stated that the LHS altimeter Baro scale setting was 989 mbs,the RHS altimeter was set to 991mbs,Aldergrove QNH. Somewhere I have seen that the Portree QNH was given as 991mbs, as that`area` would be entered en-route to Corran. However,it also states that the local QNH for the Mull area was 998 mbs.(This is also the QNH set into the Stans on initialisation,(refer to p332- anomalies). This is totally incorrect,as a pressure distribution over that area between Aldergrove/Mull, a distance of 43 nm,and a pressure change of 7-8 mbs would give a `geostrophic` wind of some 80kts,or about 60 kts at the surface,possibly more.....but this was never checked !!!!..

So , has anyone seen a `surface pressure analysis` for the day in question ??
I can only say that I would not have flown low-level from Lyneham to Lossie that day ,if that had been the case...Syc..