PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on EASA FCL?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2010, 18:35
421C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't have to read the 1000s of pages. You have to read Bookworm's short post which quotes and describes how:
  • Article 4 of the BR defines the scope of EASA regs to include FRA operated by EU residents
  • Article 1 of the FCL Draft Opinion says it applies to the pilots of aircraft defined in Article 4 of the BR
  • Article 3 of the FCL Draft Opinion says that pilots defined in Article 1 of the FCL Draft Opinion shall be qualified in accordance with Part FCL and Part Med.
This bundles pilots of EU-registered aircraft and pilots of EU operated FRA into the same bucket. They need EASA Part FCL and Part Med qualifications.

Bookworm posted both the simple text you wanted and the links to the original FCL source. I added the link to the BR source.

The EU law simply isn't constructed in the way you want it to speak to you. It doesn't say specifically that N-reg pilots need EASA IRs, in the same way it doesn't say pilots of EASA-registered aircraft need EASA pilot certficates. The outcome stems from the chain of references Article 4 BR - Article 1 FCL - Article 3 FCL.

Let me put it another way. How could I convince the pilot of a G-registered aircraft that he needs an EASA certificate sometime after 2012? It's exactly the same set of references. He is captured by Article 4 (1) (b) of the BR, and the N-reg guy is captured by Article 4 (1) (c) of the BR.

If you read Part FCL, nowhere does it say "pilots of EASA registered aircraft must have EASA licenses". It refers to aircraft in Article 4 of the BR and the pilots of such aircraft.

brgds
421C