PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checking in, and a question please?
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2010, 14:58
james finlayson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I've done quite a bit of recruitment over the years around various airports and I have never heard of this qualification.

To be honest, most companies looking for checkin staff are only looking for some customer service experience and the ability to use a computer, along with numeracy, literacy and language skills.

For Baggage Handlers, its more about the ability to lift things up, and not be afraid of confined spaces.

For both roles you have to be a team orientated type who will fit in well with the existing staff.

For dispatch/load control, these roles are usually internal promotion positions. I have rarely appointed externally for these, but on the occasion I did, they usually went to someone with prior experience either from civil or military aviation.

I would save your money and time. You could spend quite a bit on getting the qualification and find on your first day in your new job that you are sitting in a room full of girls who used to work the tills in a shop, as that is the type of experience these companies are looking for.

Of course, these days a lot of temporary staff are sourced through the various agencies that have now sprung up. Keep your eye out for agency adverts rather that direct employer adverts as well.

For your own personal development, knowledge and interest I'm sure the course has something to offer, but don't think it will give you much advantage in getting the job.