PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - value of shares
Thread: value of shares
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2010, 07:15
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be a little careful with share prices in a Cirrus, because they depreciate rapidly, but the depreciation may well not be reflected in the share price.

The market for Cirrus shares is also not going to be the same as the market for e.g. C152 shares. I know of a few people who are in the Cirrus "147" type groups (where you purchase a block of hours, basically) and they are paying an eye watering hourly rate, but they are apparently happy to do so because they get a decent plane which they can walk away from after the flight. I suspect that a calculation of value for money relative to the actual aircraft value doesn't come into it, in the way it might with a "spamcan" share.

Another thing is that groups around advanced planes will work well only if each member has pockets of the appropriate depth and are willing to stick their hands in periodically and are compatible in their expectations of how much stuff needs to be working (a very rare combination in UK GA ). This is true for all shares of course, but imagine a plane whose panel alone is worth about £100k.

I fly an "advanced" plane myself (though not as advanced in gadget terms as a latest SR22 can be) which I bought new 8 years ago and while I don't regret it for a moment, it is not for the faint hearted. There is the potential for huge amounts of downtime, too. So check the records for past avionics issues very carefully.