PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield Again
Thread: Sheffield Again
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2002, 18:15
zzzz

What is surprising is that Peel said the future of the airport would be safe in the medium term...I guessed that meant that it would be safe until Finningley opened, and then Peel would shut Sheffield and take 'the good bits' (i.e. staff etc) to Doncaster, where upon Sheffield Airport would probably become an industrial estate.

Ok, I was wrong and obviously they ran early.

I believe the airport, once full ATC, cat 5 or so afrs, and former host to airlines such as BA, KLMuk and Sabena, is now only cat 1 with only an A/G radio service. Sad and embarrassing for a city with a pop of 500000.

But could a city airport with a short runway and a no GA policy ever work? I think the development at Finningley is a better all round prospect.

As for the ILS I don't think it will head back to the airport it was bought from, even though that airport has had a change of management who seems to have a lot more money to invest.

ILS to Carlisle? Maybe...ready for that Ryanair service?!!!!

And if you are interested, yes the fire engine might be going up north to the former home of Sheffield's ILS.

I might put an offer in myself for a few souvenirs from Britains shortest lived airport...But hang on it hasn't closed down all together yet.