PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo..?
Old 28th Sep 2010, 19:50
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
From the MH-60S Flight Manual (IIRC, uses the same engine on the R, I'd need to do a little checking).

UPDATE: Yes, Romeo uses the same engine, same rating. (Heavier bird ...)
The MH-60S helicopter is equipped with two T700-GE-401C engines.

At sea level and 59 °F (15 °C), the T700-GE-401C engine has a maximum continuous rating of 1,662 shaft horsepower (shp), an intermediate rating of 1,800 shp for a 30-minute duration, and a selectable contingency power rating of 1,940 shp available for 2.5 minutes duration.
I seem to recall at one time a recommendation from Sikorsky that a more powerful engine (can't recall the number, there was a T in it) be fitted to the SH-60R (which has become the MH-60R). At the time, there was also a recommendation to put the wide chord blade on the Romeo -- which blade is on the UH-60M presently (IIRC), but I don't think it is on the Romeo.

Or did the Navy finally decide yes on that?

I also recall some hot and heavy day performance numbers that were not pretty: (typical scenario, no-wind T/O and land in the Persian Gulf with a full load of weapons and stores).

Looks like high and heavy is likewise to be managed with care.

Note in re contingency power, somewhat dated, as am I, and it's B model memory.

Typically selected when doing ship board ops (TO/Land), hover work, cargo hauling with external load, single engine training work as your friend at NASNI doubtless does down at Imperial Beach.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 28th Sep 2010 at 20:04.