PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 28th Sep 2010, 19:44
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My final offering on the subject...until perhaps the outcome is known.

It is not up to us to determine whether or not a crime has been committed - we may have an opinion on the subject, but we don't represent the judiciary on this issue (or if we do we are in contempt of court for discussing it here!!). It is the responsibility of those tasked to investigate to determine any breach of the law and the evidence as it stands.

Given the circumstances (HC and all the media coverage, plus three investigative bodies) I am entirely happy this investigation will be carried out properly and effectively. It does not follow that there will be a prosecution and the prosecuting authority certainly will not be considering the wider aspects and history of military airworthiness, they will considering the prospects for a successful prosecution against one or more individuals if, and only if, they have clearly broken one or more laws.

We should also all remember the fundamental principle of law in the UK...innocent until found guilty by 12 good men (or women).

That's the legal system in our green and pleasant land, and I for one, would not want it any other way.