PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra day in Las Vegas... advice on Grand Canyon?
Old 28th Sep 2010, 18:43
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Water!

Hiking the Canyon is a real treat. However, you do need to be prepared. You may be experienced and if you are I apologise but you MUST take water with you AND DRINK IT even in November.

I learned the hard way. I took the water, but didn't drink it (how stupid is that). You simply don't appreciate how much fluid you lose. Three days later I had salt round my lips and felt a bit weird.

As for how to get there I would probably fly which probably means Grand Canyon Airlines. However, before you phone them I'd call the lodges to see if you can get a room - it can be difficult at short notice (yes I know November is at least 5 weeks away but...) Grand Canyon: In-Park Lodging, Tours, Mule-rides - WELCOME TO GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK and the only "in-park" lodging! . You could even enquire about a bed in the bunkhouse at Phantom Ranch (in the bottom of the Canyon). Meeting finishes noon, flight at 1300 arrive 1400 you should just make the bottom by nightfall if you go down Bright Angel Trail (but you won't have spare time) but take a torch in case! Coming out is slower but lets see, flight departs 2010, check in by 1810 means need to be back by 1700 = depart GCN 1600meaning nedd to be back at the top by 1400 to be safe (depending on where you've left your business luggage so maybe earlier) but that gives you time to get out so long as you're reasonably fit and leave early (like 0700). Unless it's changed a lot the trail is good; you're not having to do any map reading.