PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Endoscopy (and I have read previous threads)
Old 28th Sep 2010, 17:01
Bus429

Pilots' Pal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Endoscopy (and I have read previous threads)

Hi All,
I'm interested in endoscopies - well, not interested, more concerned - and I've read previous threads but most of you are so flippant that there is no reassurance . I'm pretty cool with most things but with matters medical, I'm an absolute WIMP! (But curiously, the dentist has never perturbed me).

Anyway, I've been taking PPIs for over two years to relieve acid reflux and moved from 30 to 15mg daily and it seems to have done the job (go a few days without and it comes back pronto). In the last few months, I've had occasional slight chest & back pains, lump in throat and minor belching (still on the PPI).

Saw doc today and he has referred me for an endoscope (upper GI). Lovely, I thought; I'd had a colonoscopy last year and that wasn't nice (and I squirmed like a conga eel). Doc says that colonoscopy is worse than an upper GI (have doctors ever had these things to try them out?).
I've asked to be given elephant sedative, throat spray, hypnosis - the lot.
Point is, I've done the stupid thing and scanned the web to see what the symptoms indicate; I've also looked into the procedure.
However, could those of you who have had one give me a bit of background? Or is it better to act like a man - I am a man, actually - and just get on with it?