PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 28th Sep 2010, 13:56
Charlie Pop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which bases took a pay cut to fund aircraft?

I hear the John Lewis model mentioned a lot, but the differences between JL and BA are huge. John Lewis is a partnership, owned by the staff, and it exists to make money for the staff. That shows every time you walk into a branch. BA is owned by it's shareholders, and it exists to make money for them.

One comparison between the two companies really summed it up to me. During the snow disruption a branch of John Lewis became snowed in (High Wycombe branch I believe). Many customers couldn't free their cars, and having made long journeys in they couldn't get home. The manager of the branch decided to allow them all to stay in the store overnight, sleeping on the demonstration beds even, whilst the staff, who lived locally and could have got home, volunteered to stay. Compare this with the actions of cabin crew during BA's disruption, who demanded their two local nights off after a diversion because it was in the agreement, leaving passengers stranded longer than necessary. BA cabin crew want the benefits of all the companies they see around them, but are unwilling as a group to accept the sacrifices that go with these rewards.