PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Airlines B747 Crash (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2002, 16:38
JohnBarrySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stagger:
I'm not qualified to comment on most of this so I won't.

JBS>You are qualified if you are a thinking human being and care about aviation safety. If you read the entire Zeist fiasco trial report, then you know more than most and are very well qualified to give details, flaws, and observations.

Stagger>The only relevant matter I know quite a bit about is the Lockerbie trial evidence.

I did originally try to stick to the term "explosive device" rather than "bomb" because one thing that JBS' may be correct about is that there are some big questions about the exact nature of the explosive device that did bring down PA 103.

However, I for one am convinced that PA 103 was intentionally destroyed - although I'm not convinced that the trial at Camp Zeist conclusively established how and by who.

JBS>You don’t know how or who but you do know a bomb explosion happened .

Sort of like the NTSB saying for Trans World Airlines Flight 800 we don’t know how or what started that center tank fire but we know it happened first.

Or AAIB saying we don’t know how such a small mild blast caused the nose to come off but it did for Pan Am Flight 103.

Or the Indians saying we don’t know how or what caused that explosion in the forward cargo compartment of Air India Flight 182 but it was a bomb.

The shorted wiring/forward cargo door rupture/explosive decompression/inflight breakup has no basic, “We don’t know’ statements. It explains ‘streak’ and ignition source for the center fuel tank fire for Trans World Airlines Flight 800, the small shatter hole and the green diamond for Pan Am Flight 103, and the source of the explosion for Air India Flight 182.

SLF3>
Quote from a quote in a Michael Crichton book (from memory):

'One of the ironies of the information age is that it has given a new respectability to uninformed opinion.'

Ring any bells?

JBS>Ah yeah, the millions of passengers who get on jet airliners and fly for 12 hours and get off and don’t know how many engines the plane had and even if it had propellers....but they have an opinion that they know they are safe because the crews and authorities are trying real hard to stop the planes from coming apart in the air. That’s uninformed opinion. My opinion after reading hundreds of accident reports and hundreds of press reports and dealing with head in sand attitudes like some in this forum, is that crews and the authorities are not trying real hard to find the reason why planes are coming apart in the air, but are trying real hard to keep their jobs, their status, their friends, and their reputations.

People that care act funny. You can tell when someone loses something they really care about, they look everywhere, weird places, they bother people, they keep it up for a long long time. People that don’t care consider appearances and don’t want to look funny or weird. They just try to do the minimum and try to get back to the usual as soon as possible.

Those on this forum that advise to wait..and to wait... and to not contribute...and to not speculate, guess, or conclude...are those who don’t care.

Meds>JBS, still a fascinating-if occasionally muddy-thread. The fact that posters sometimes make typos or use imprecise grammar, however, doesn't make them wrong, stupid or illiterate. You have always impressed me and, I'm sure, others with the way you handle the impolite remarks made about you here. Stay above this type of stuff, old chap!

JBS> You got that right, dude! I succumbed to temptation to fight fire with fire, dipped low, and criticized and bang, nailed. It serves me right.

That email from Kay Yong has given me inspiration. That official appears to me to be fair, polite, open minded, and objective. I have hopes the probable cause for China Airlines Flight 611 will make sense whatever it is, unlike the others.

Cheers,
Barry