PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Timing is key
Thread: Timing is key
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2010, 13:13
Paperplanes89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing is key

Dear all,

I know this post is a little bit specific to me, and I apologise for that, but perhaps some can relate to similar circumstances.

Firstly, desparately want to be a pilot eventually making it to the airlines/cargo (BIG JETS ). Obviously at the moment there is probably very little point in starting training as all jobs are few and far between. (most definitely the impression from this forum).

I graduate university in June 2012, with a degree (BA politics)totally useless for what a ultimately want to do. I will be almost 23 when I graduate. Thing is I have been offered the opportunity to go and study in the USA for a year which I would really love to do, but would add an extra year to my course, thus I would be almost 24 upon graduation. Now I have read the perpetual 'am I too old?' thread and see that 24 is not strictly speaking going to be a problem. However, will being 24 be a noticeable disadvantage in what is an extremely competitive job market - (will be 26 upon completion of training). I mean, a lot of guys finishing flight training are likely to be 20-23 years old and I'll be in the same pile but 26.

Secondly, I appreciate that none of you have crystal balls, but as a general rule will going into flight training later be better as we try and crawl ourselves out of this black hole of a recession? Is 2015 likely to be better than 2014, jobwise? -Really I guess I am looking forward some kind of justification for having a year out in the USA which will be tremendous fun but may possibly be detrimental to my life long ambition of being a pilot. I think maybe I should just knuckle down, get through my degree and get on with things?

Sorry this post is a little messy, any info or general opinions are warmly welcomed. Thanks PPRuNers!

Paperplanes89