PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 28th Sep 2010, 13:00
Ops_Room_Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave - respect you and your opinion too.

Everything you said, time with company, pride in brand, family (who also work for BA) moved house many times for BA/my own career (over 6 times now) applies to me also. We only differ because my view is that times change and we have to adapt - both personally and as a business and I belive that as a result the T+C conditions I joined on are now irelevant. True I have to earn enough to support my family but I believe that if it is not sustainable for me to do this in my current role with BA (and for CC I believe it is not, same with some of the jobs, bases I have worked in during the past) then I must either leave and find employment elsewhere or look to an alternative career within BA where T+C may be higher....but so may be the stress (career -v- home balance). This is no different for any of my friends that have careers/jobs outside aviation. Those who joined banks are earning significantly less and doing much more (those lucky enough to still be employed), same goes for my friends in just about every industry - why do we think we are different. My view is that aviation (wish in many respects I had not chosen as a career, despite the fact I LOVE IT) is THE MOST VUNERABLE and is hits 1st, hardest and longest for any effects to global reccession and economic downturns.

BA simply is not the company is was when I joined. If I wish to continue working for the company I have to accept that the T+C I joined on are no longer sustainable as in actual £'s are customer are paying the same for a flight now as they were when I joined. Difference is those identical £'s are worth a lot less some 20+ years later!!!!!!