PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas DC4 unusual attitude incident 55 years ago?
Old 28th Sep 2010, 11:42
Norman Wells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DC-4 incident.

This is stretching the memory a bit but this is how I remember it. The a/c was returning from (perhaps) Guam on a black night. The crew were;
Capt. Bill Forgan-Smith (Forgy)
F/O J.C. Johnston (Clyde)
S/O Jack Thomas

Both Forgan-Smith and Clyde Johnston were ex Qantas, New Guinea.

Forgan-Smith was asleep in the RHS.
Clyde Johnston was asleep in the crew rest.
Jack Thomas was in the LHS.

Whilst changing fuel tanks Jack accidently ran the fuel feed to No.1 engine dry. No. 1 prop then went into overspeed. Somehow Jack thought the problem was the N0.2 engine and feathered it.

The a/c then went into a spiral dive. Forgy was rudely awakened from his slumbers was trying to assess the situation.

Clyde Johnston, sleeping in the crew rest, awoke, looked out the window and saw sparks from the No.1 engine. He somehow managed ot make his way back to the flight deck and called for the No.1 prop to be feathered.

Recovery was around 2,000 feet.

Forgan-Smith was reduced to a (permanent) F/O.
Clyde Johnston later went on to command both DC-4's and B707's.
I am vague on what happened to Jack Thomas. Whether he subsequently decided to resign or was forced out I do not know. He was certainly not around in 1965 from one of my old seniority lists so he must have departed not long after the incident.

My memory of Jack Thomas is that he was a pleasant, quiet and competent pilot. He also was not the only person to have had problems changing tank selections on the DC-4.