PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's the bi-annual "Not enough parachuting" article
Old 27th Sep 2010, 20:25
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Js do all the "routine" para and most of the not so routine para. Despite the entire world thinking the J is brand new, they've been around for about 11 years now.....

To answer your questions, no we don't put a Nav on board as the aircraft has a two person flightdeck and is designed to be operated by said two persons. The CARP is computer generated (sometimes with manual assistance) and the system armed by manually putting the red light on. The computer then puts the green light on automatically (for SLR drops).

We get a lot of practice at all the para disciplines which is partly why the DT article rankled so much in the first place. That and the fact it was generally bollocks.

I have no idea what happened with the blokes going into the trees suffice to say accidents happen. Quite what the army plans to replace the C130 with for their mass airdrops I don't know but I wish them the best of luck with their pipe dreams.