PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC History
Thread: ATC History
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2010, 20:17
Lon More

More than just an ATCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spud's biscuit tin

I had one, quite a few scratches on it it made 100 quid at auction; mint it would have been 400. The brand name on the jam pot would have raised a few eyebrows as well

I remember John S. - Richard Partridge was another name from round then. He came to Euricontrol then left to drive an old ambulance to India. He's now back in the UK, married a few years ago. John Kimberley, Maggie Ireland and PLJ Hooper were a few others who crossed the channel.

Chevvron, I must have left just before you joined (I went to Sopley as an ATCA 2). Terry Thomas was the ATCA 1 at the time.

I also spent a few months on NMU at Gatwick, a great place to earn money with all the overtime, John Dancer was there at the time, as was Daphne Donkin. I think being sent down there was a result of threatening to punch John Renolds' lights out. Southend were phoning details on a dep via IBY ( 11 handwritten strips IIRC with only the first and last having all the details. At the same time, they were requesting clearance from the DO (Reynolds). As fast as I could write the strips I put them over but Reynolds suddenly decided that all the strips should have all the details and threw one back, hitting me just above the eye. Trying to pull him across the top of the board was not a good idea, . Fortunately a lot of people had witnessed the incident and he was forced to apologize. A week later I was in Gatwick for several months..
A couple of years later, in Luxembourg, there were a few more names, Bob Cheyne and Brian Greenhalgh and later in Brussels, Gerry Wigglesworth, Roy Evans, Geoff Gillete and Brian Easy who should have spoken perfect French by the time we moved to Maastricht because every time he was asked to do radar he had to go for a French lesson.

Last edited by Lon More; 28th Sep 2010 at 08:26. Reason: rchanged link