PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Age 60 Limit To End
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2010, 14:39
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What an unbelievable number of posts on such a non starter.

Age discrimination is against the law in Canada. It's that simple. What aspect of that fact do ACPA members not respect? What aspect of that law do the lawyers representing Air Canada or ACPA not understand?

Isn't this simply about (selfish greed) money? Some junior crewmember thinks he/she is missing out on the extra bucks he/she'd be earning sitting in the left seat. Calling it career planning or entitlement (there's that word again). The lawyers on both sides are raking in the bucks arguing something they know they can't win and the union members are depleting their war chest 'fighting' a ruling that simply won't be overturned despite the assurances of their non-lawyer MEC types. I think they're confusing wishful thinking with reality but, I'd also like to point out I'M no lawyer either.

If I were in either party I'd be looking for a law firm that understood the laws of the land and a law firm that didn't salivate over the money it costs to fight this AND who wasn't interested in breaking the financial back of my union. Our labour laws changed to reflect that reality years ago and the idea of negotiating any labour agreement that used age to draw lines in the sand disappeared years ago as laws against age discrimination came into being and with them labour contracts were required to reflect that fact. Apparently not at CALPA, or ACPA.

The suggestion that an age 60 pilot can retire and go off to foreign lands to find employment begs the question that, as a 60 year old I have to ask. Why should I have my entire life tossed upside down and have to leave Canada over such a ridiculous suggestion that purly and simply is against the law?

Surely, any union agreement, not just AC-ACPA, that discriminates anything based on age is worthless and needs to be invalidated.

What was wrong in the past should be put right today, and the ACPA members should be leading the charge not trying to derail it. They should be making their bed for when they reach that arbitrary number and find themselves mentally alert and physically fit. Able to work beyond that 'magic' number (if they want to, that is)

Unless the present membership doesn't intend to reach age 60.

that old f**ker,
Willie