PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's the bi-annual "Not enough parachuting" article
Old 27th Sep 2010, 09:36
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Father Jack

Thanks for that.
I would say in return that a good number of army folks don't understand air power, or tactics, in exactly the same way that many light blue folks don't understand army tactics.

I am not sure how much each service really should know about the others, but it is just as frustrating for me to hear someone who was involved in para training to think it has no place in the modern army!

Operational parachuting may not be paramount, but the training is what separates the paras from other foot infantry units (and why Churchill made his now famous comment about them conquering fear).

I agree with another poster, who feels someone is stirring, and also that many decisions in the SDSR will be as much guided by tabloid headlines as operational needs, which is a scary thought.
The possible further demise of the RAF saddens me, as I feel it has already been slashed beyond any credible role of defending the nation (if we assume that is one of its roles). I don't buy into the fact that newer platforms can be purchased in fewer numbers due to greater effectiveness either, one only has to look at Nimrod to see that we are now left short of proper anti sub (plus the other bits) cover, but still pursuing new SSBN's. That is just madness in all but 'political aspiration' terms.

As for taking the 'A' out of SAS, we have already had SS troops in the UK orbat for a short period, and learned that lesson before!....Hang on, who am I trying to kid in that we 'learn lessons'