PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA audit of GCAA
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2010, 09:16
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
I am pretty sure that we work more hours, all in all, than our counterparts in the USA, EU or AU.
Right now, yes we do. But that's more to do with industrial relations than regulation.

The company acknowledges, however, that there is a severe shortage and is recruiting like crazy.

It should never have happened but, assuming we end do at the 85ish mark being quoted (which, IMHO, is the maximum sustainable from a rostering point of view, let alone fatigue) then I have been in situations both in Europe and Australia where I worked longer and more fatiguing hours.

Don't get me wrong, what is happening now is a disgrace and a ball-ache of monumental proportions, but things tend to be cyclical and we should be heading towards something better next year.

BTW, chocks-on is end of FLIGHT duty period (which determines how long a duty can be) under every set of regs I've operated. TOTAL duty period (which determines when rest begins and how much that should be) should include a realistic period post flight. 30 mins? Arguable, but not uncommon.

We are, however, REQUIRED to COMMENCE DUTY well before the 60mins allowed for, and that is where the real liberty is taken.