PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2010, 06:35
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
India Four Two,

"Dora-9, I see your aircraft still has the UHF aerials. Did it come with the whole fit, or had the boxes been taken out?"

No, all the boxes were removed although the Channel Selector Panel on the RH of the rear cockpit was still there.

bcgallacher:

"Was was awarded a Flying Scholarship while a schoolboy in the early 60s - did the training at AST at Perth"

Oddly enough, I also was an ATC Flying Scholarship recipient in the early sixties (1961) in Perth, only my Perth was in Western Australia! I'm not saying we were better (this scribe clearly wasn't), but our Chipmunks all had the narrow-chord rubdder and no strakes. In fact I doubt there was a Chipmunk with strakes anywhere in Australia then!

Dan Winterland - a very well written piece I thought. Nice to see you point out that the broad-chord rudder had NOTHING to do with spinning.

"The UK CAA don't agree, and UK registered Chipmunks without fuselage strakes and the wide chord rudder are prohibited from aerobatics and spinning."

Similar here now in Australia too.Our authorities accepted the T.10 on the register unlike the UK where it had to be a Mk.22. But with the advent of an Approved Flight Manual for the T.10 (there simply wasn't one until the late 1990's) this restriction now applies, although only to aircraft without the strakes (the larger rudder is not mentioned). also.

Because a large number of Chipmunks that came here in the late 50's were surplus RAF aircraft that were disposed of before the advent of the strakes (and never qualified to be re-fitted with the "big" rudder either) even today the majority of Australian Chipmunks don't have strakes.