PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax and Crew File Lawsuit Against Airbus
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2010, 00:19
Capt Kremin

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe on another thread we could have a rational discussion on such matters as PTSD and it effects on pilots, I am sure we could fill a few pages with various anecdotes.

TG, your generation was schooled in the, for want of a better term, "suck it up big guy," mentality. In my opinion the price paid for that was well documented in the alcohol and drug abuse, domestic violence and suicide statistics.

Maybe it is time we acknowledge that we are human just like anyone else and exhibit the same symptoms to a traumatic event as anyone else does. In some ways, being trained and knowledgable in aviation can make it worse.
Imagine how you would feel in the same situation? Nothing but Indian Ocean in the windscreen and your jet is NOT responding to the controls?

I personally know of at least one old school captain who had a traumatic event, kept it bottled in, and eventually had to be pensioned off when it began to seriously affect his flying performance. That's a loss of a career, for want of acknowledgement and treatment of his disorder.

In short, if you weren't there you really cannot comment on the event or the aftermath. Pilots have sued companies for myriad reasons. IMHO this one qualifies one hundred fold and we should leave it at that.