PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's the bi-annual "Not enough parachuting" article
Old 26th Sep 2010, 19:41
alfred_the_great

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Just to put on my Staff Officer hat on...

The reason the jumps course is in Nov is because one cycle of selection starts in June. The J7 team at DSF must have enough historical evidence to show likely proportion of jumps lost due to wx in Nov. If it is not acceptable, then they need to move their courses dates until the rate is good enough.

To allow "80" SAS and "100" 18 Sigs guys go "front line" without doing jumps training is not a decision for the RAF to make. I don't know the risk appetite in DSF, but someone (likely COS to DSF, DDSF or DSF actual) has signed off to those servicemen moving on without the correct level of training.

DSF is the only Department I know of to be submitting proposals requesting an increase in budget during the SDSR (and one threatening a complete loss of SF capability if 2p is cut from their budget). Given the rest of Defence's desire to genuflect in their direction, I doubt if DSF (or SO1 J7 DSF) said that "from tomorrow all jumps will be conducted in America, hang the cost", anyone would bat an eyelid.

So, to summarise:

DSF (actual or organisation) made the decision, some c*ck is stirring trouble for the RAF, DSF is rubbing his/their hands in glee.