PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C210 Endo/typecheck
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2010, 14:03
wingman_c210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C210 Loading ...

Hi There seems to be a lot of C210 knowledge lurking on this thread - so here goes...

I am a relatively inexperienced C210 pilot - only been flying 210's for one year, but have clocked up 200hrs on my C210k (normally aspirated) over the last 12 months - mostly into bush strips. When my Cessna Centurion is fully laden but within W&B graph limits, I run out of nose forward trim in the descent, and either have to apply quite a lot of forward pressure on the yoke, or reduce power considerably, right to the bottom of the green arc (15mp) or below, slow the aircraft down considerably from say 160 to say 135 to get the aircraft to descend. This is not necessarily a problem as I prefer to descend down through turbulent air levels slowly, well within Va manoevering speed but I was wondering whether this is normal and if anyone else had had this experience. (need to plan descent carefully - slow up gently , close cowl flaps - keep engine warm). More recently I have been loading the heavier bags behind the pilots seats to get the weight forward to avoid the problem.

In all other phases of flight (Take-off and cruise), trim is fine, and forward trim problem only arises when the C210 is fully laden (5 on board + luggage). Forward trim problem when loaded manifests irrespective of fuel loads/burn.

My aircraft has a Horton STAL kit, and I was wondering if the HORTON moves CoG moment forward under heavy load on descent relative to the normal . (Horton STAL = great mod for Hot, High, Heavy bush strips by the way)

I also recently fitted an STEC55X AP and was wondering whether the mechanics had altered the rigging on installation (they say not).

Is this forward trim limit a problem or merely a safety feature?? (Although Va should, in theory increase with loading).

I also notice that my 210 flies up to 10kts slower when fully laden compared to when empty.

Bush Pilot C210 tricks from Sefofane pilots in Okavango Delta / Namibia: For short rough dirt strip take-offs under hot high heavy conditions: Follow short take-off POH. In addition: 13 degrees flap (same deflection as max aileron control surface deflection), full breaks, full power, check FULL fuel flow, MP before releasing brakes. For initial stage of ground roll, apply back pressure, slowly releasing up to 60mph (to relieve weight from landing gear, and rolling drag). Rotate at 80mph but stay low (forward yoke pressure required) , on the deck in ground effect till 90 - fly at the trees. Dont climb until 90. Thereafter climb at exactly 90. Gear away at 90 BUT ONLY AFTER positive rate of climb established. Flaps away at 100, AFTER trees VERY SLOWLY in 1 degree increments to avoid sink.

kind regards
Warwick