PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2010, 21:03
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chu Chu,

You're quite right, actually, especially assuming no flow.

"how would the fluid in the "cylinder" "know" it's pressing against pressurized hydraulic fluid in the inner tube and not a solid steel piston?"

The fluid wouldn't "know".. It would be pressing against pressurized hydraulic fluid further down the line.... but at the end, it would finally be pressing against the piston of a hydraulic cylinder of some kind at the end, like the 'cap' in my first scribble.
If nothing was restrained "downstream", indeed everything would be "blown apart".
Of course, that hydraulic cylinder (my 'cap') would be affixed to the structure, so it wouldn't move.

The problem is more like my second scribble.... with a bend in the pipe, and only the final 'cap' fixed, the pipe would continuously flex under pressure.... not a good idea at all, especially when the pressure in the pipe varies, because the 'cap' is not a real 'cap' but something like a PFCU (power flight control unit), with continously varying demand.

So yes, the hydraulic lines are restrained in all the right places, for the hydraulic expansion seals to work correctly without setting up stresses in the lines themselves (except for the pressure acting outwards, of course).

Hope this makes sense to you?

CJ