PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chipmunk Is Beautiful
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2010, 12:04
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
By George, I don't doubt that this was an unforgettable experience.

One minor point though, RSK was fitted with the tapered anti-spinning strakes (developed by Aerostructures Ltd at Bansktown for the SA29 "Spraymaster") in 1968. The RAC of NSW's response to the loss of FTA in a spinning accident on 22.1.1968 was to immediately fit strakes to their last two Chipmunks (RSK and RSQ). I can locate no photos after 1968 showing either aircraft without strakes. With respect, do you know if they were - temporarily - removed at Point Cook?

India Four Two, I couldn't aggree more about people who paint incorrect markings on their aircraft. The gleaming bare-metal DBS (photo supplied earlier) always annoys with her reversed fin stripes (and being a Mk.21 they're not appropriate anyway).

But RAF Chipmunks DID eventually have heaters! Mod H335 introduced in 1979 involved fitting the Canadian style heater system, detected by the small projecting intake in the front of the cowl and the steeply raked exhaust stack - it's readily apparent in the photos of the EFTS formation for instance.