PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (current Airline Staff Only)
Old 25th Sep 2010, 11:57
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

I find the Bassa xxxx tags and Bassa lanyards intimidating because basically the vast majority of us work together and just do the job, unaware of whether we are working with a striker or non striker but the moment you see one of these things, you immediately become aware of the persons opinion.
I am a non striker and this is purely because I did not agree with the way the union has conducted itself. In my opinion they did not negotiate in good faith, and that's if they turned up at all, and what they were offering, like 767 work to E/F, was not something I wanted them to be negotiating for me anyway. I can assure you that the vast majority of us non strikers are NOT regretting it at all and most of us came to work because we disagreed with the union and NOT because we did not want to loose staff travel.

I just did a flight as the in charge Purser and another Purser was called out to work down as main crew. This Purser had a yellow pen in his top pocket. This made me very aware of his views without even having to ask him and it made me realise how hard it must be for main crew who work with Pursers who make it so obvious how they feel, by using these symbols. However all it did, in fact, was make the other three of us realise that he was the only striker on the flight. During the flight he came up and looked at the passenger list and muttered about commuters and I actually started to feel sorry for him. I felt sorry for him that this dispute, caused by Bassa, has completely altered his personality and made him such a bitter person.

So yes these tokens are intimidating but they are also SAD to behold. Please don't feel that us non strikers are regretting not striking because actually I think it is the other way around.

Last edited by Betty girl; 25th Sep 2010 at 12:13.