PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on EASA FCL?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2010, 08:17
421C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EASA are demanding that I hold licenses to fly an aircraft that they hold no jurisdiction over. Infact to use EASA licences to do so would in itself be illegal
They do have jurisdiction over EU operators. It is not illegal to hold an EASA licence in addition to an FAA one when flying an N-reg airplane.

I am licenced by the FAA to Fly FAA aircraft around the world there are ICAO Rights to do so.
I haven't read my ICAO for a while, but the rights which are enshrined in treaty are relatively narrow, and many apply to CAT rather than GA, and also concern overflight and tech stops. There is nothing in ICAO which prevents a particular country imposing whatever requirements it wants on its domestic operators. In fact, (AFAIK) an ICAO country is entitled to deny its citizens the right to exercise the privileges of another countries pilot qualifications in its own airspace.

So it again comes down to blatant discrimination which thankfully are well covered in our European Courts.

They are in reality saying that I must hold licences which are illegal on an aircraft I am fully entitled to fly hold no bearing on that aircraft and for NO other reason than I am European My equal Brothers in America are allowed to fly in European airspace but I am not
I absolutely understand your intense frustration that the profession you have been pursuing under the excellent and safe regulation of the FAA system should be burdened with this nonsense. But, I hate to say it, this "discrimination" idea is a lost cause. There are a vast number of regulations which 'discriminate' between the non-EU resident professional and the resident. The obvious example being doctors, lawyers, accountants, but also, at a more trivial level, car drivers and boat skippers. Aviation, of course, is different to the extent that it's inherent that a US pilot would operate a trip into Europe (and vice-versa) in a way that, for example, a Doctor wouldn't find himself treating patients cross-border. But the EASA regs are not regulating US pilots per se, or US operators. They are regulating EU operators, which they are legally entitled to do.

The principle that an EU operator should abide by EU regulations is not going to collapse under some human rights legal case. The entire EU system is built upon a vast edifice of EU regulations....

Vent your frustration here amongst fellow pilots by all means, but I'd be signing up for one of those JAA ATPL theory courses at the same time....

brgds
421C