PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAVEX for BFR??
Thread: NAVEX for BFR??
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2010, 00:17
Look Mum - no hands

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You can tell from the profile that I don't post things often, but I've had a gutful of this particular topic.

Okay Frank - here's a get rich quick scheme for you....

You could go out and spend $50K+ on a CPL, then another $12K or so on an instructor rating to gain the required professional qualifications (plus a bit more if you want IFR, ME etc.), then work for a few years as a Grade 3 and 2 on barely enough pay to make ends meet. Then buy a couple of aircraft, and some facilities, pay CASA enough in fees to underwrite a small nation, and go into business as a flying school owner.

Every time some barely current (or completely uncurrent) PPL holder wanders in to jump through the BFR/AFR hoop, you get to fly with them for an hour or two, spend 3 or 4 hours briefing and debriefing, try to work out how to tell him/her that they are not really quite as thoroughly competent as they think, attempt to give them some direction and improve skill/attitude/knowledge somehow, then put your signature to a logbook statement that, in a court of law, will essentially be read as an assessment that said pilot meets the appropriate licensing standards. Dare suggest that they should fly other than the cheapest aircraft available, or that they should do something more than a trip to the training area and some circuits, and you're being unreasonable. Then you can visit Pprune and read how you should be doing all this for somewhere in the region of $100, otherwise you're just out to rip people off!

On the other hand, occasionally you might encounter a pilot who understands that holding a pilot's licence comes with the obligation to maintain a level of competency appropriate to one's activities. These people often build an ongoing relationship with a flying school or instructor, and through flying / chatting / interaction keep current on a regular basis. They sometimes even fly with an instructor more frequently than the law requires, maybe just for a couple of circuits, maybe more. When the dreaded 2 years comes around they accept that the AFR is a regular cost associated with holding a licence, and they approach it as an opportunity for a check up and to learn something.

I am not a flying school owner, but I've been a CFI and a Grade 1 for many years. I will go out of my way to assist the second group - the first group are welcome to take their business elsewhere!