PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - age 60 rule
Thread: age 60 rule
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2002, 09:36
wallabie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
". Much to the delight of the young, impatient and intolerant!"

Well mate, I just wonder who is the intolerant one. Just using the very word makes you one.

Fit ???? My hands and feet are not enough to count the number of overweight and obviously unfit pilots I have seen in my carreer. It just takes to check where the crowd is, gym or pub. Lots of room at the gym !
Now, KLM pilots went on strike to garantee their walking at 55, BA walk at 55 even if a few of them carry on in Asia and that is sensible. It is just because of the poor retirement system that goes on in the US. It's a common thing to see people in their 70's working in the US and I don't think the majority of them works for the fun of the job !! They do because they have to.
65 is overstreching it for many reasons and yes that to, to leave room for younger guys and let them have a slice of the pie to.
Fit at 65 ? Give me a break. Night flying, jet lag, poor nutrition in airline food and 18 days on stick !! This is not my definition of a healthy life style that leads you to keep an adolescent body. Try to find some other excuse.
Right I forgot, John Glenn went into space at 77. I haven't seen a lot of John Glenn shaped fellows in airport terminals but more guys who couldn't button their uniform jackets.