PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on EASA FCL?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2010, 18:05
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
If an American pilot flies in European airspace and is not required to comply then no matter how you wrap it up its discriminating against European pilots flying on the same FAA licences. Those EASA licences have no basis on an N reg aircraft.

Wish we had some legal expert in this forum.

Pace
I am not a legal expert, but there is an extensive and legislatively supported tradition of discrimination based on residence and citizenship.

For example,
  • people who are not citizen of the EU do not have an absolute right to live here as compared to European citizen who do.
  • generally residents are taxed but visitors are not (I know this one is much more complicated)
  • visitors to the EU are generally not allowed to get a job but citizens are allowed to work.
  • Citizens go through the short queue at immigration and visitors go through the long one
  • the duty free allowances are different for residents and visitors

The list goes on.

It is somewhat unusual for a democracy to treat its citizens and residents adversely to visitors, but this is Europe.

Fuji,

The question of who is or is not an operator and does the structure mean the pilot does or does not need an EASA licence could provide weeks of entertainment during a ramp check or an insurance renewal.

I can easily imagine the regulators noticing and providing detail extra regs, equally, it would be typical for them to totally blow it and open a gapping whole (as they so often do in tax and other matters).

Related to the general thread, does anyone know when the FCL.008 output surfaces from the EASA process?