PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2010, 13:57
Old Ag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being from the far side of the pond, my opportunities to see Concorde have been few. But I was privileged to be at Oshkosh in 1985 when Concorde made the first of many appearances at the EAA airshow. After the 1000 mile trip in the back of a 172RG, my world view of aviation was not the most positive. However, Concorde, with the late Captain John Cook at the controls changed all that in an instant.

I remember his approach to Rwy 36 and how quiet the 100,000 or so crowd became. He landed then surprised the crowd will a full reheat touch and go, followed by the always spectacular and precise low level display.

The Concorde stayed parked there for the week with a several hour queue to get a look inside. As I recall they did at least one charter.

I happened to be near the end of the runway during a takeoff and Concorde flew right over me. I have an up-close and personal photo of nothing but the underside of the wing with the undercarriage retracting.

It would be nice if she was still in the air, but at least I get to regularly visit the Air France Concorde on display at IAD.

-Old Ag