PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting out of EK
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2010, 12:09
Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Qater basings is win-win. The employee wins 'cause he gets his base.

Qatar wins because they reduce costs and basing a pilot is cheaper. The problem is pilots think they are going to get it all. I've had this discussion many times in the flight deck with guys assuming a basing will be paid and operated in the same way as the 'local' contract.

My guess is a 'basing' will operate something like this:

It will not be a true basing. The contract and terms will still be based in Doha (or whatever city). The rosters will just be built beginning and ending in the 'base'. You will still be paid in local currency into a local bank account. No school allowance if the country of basing provides free schooling. No medical. No housing. Just base pay and flying pay. You can request days off only within the seniority of your base. The flying will be based on co. requirements (ie. you'll fly DC-Doha, overnight, do some night turns or whatever they can fit in, then fly back).

This is how they will save money--all those extras, housing, schooling etc will no longer be paid. They certainly won't pay MORE to cover taxes as so many seem to believe. At least my best guess is they will not!