PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Started flying too late
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2010, 08:11
Francis Frogbound
The One Your Mother Warned You About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look back on your old occupation and the job you enjoyed as part of life's learning experience. You have plenty of time and opportunity to expand your experience. Also can you use your past experience in aviation? Would it help you if you wanted to move into airline management eventually?

Before flying I was an army officer, but I always wanted to fly, now I fly a desk as well as an aeroplane. I gave up my military career when I received a sponsorship scheme from an airline, I was the oldest on my course at 25. I look at potential recruits and see what they did before aviation. Those who have done something else first often have useful "life skills" (I hate that phrase), and if they have put themselves through the system they are, and should be prouder of their achievements, and often make the better option for an employer.

You have joined the industry in a time of pretty stagnant recruitment. Many pilots are looking at the greener grass elsewhere, but staying where they are because the devil they know is offering a reasonable level of security. Eventually things will start to move and other opportunities will come your way.

Lastly, if God forbid you lose your medical you have knowledge of a career you can return to, or even keep up in your spare time. (One of our pilots was a lawyer and he still works part time for a practise to keep his knowledge up to date) Enjoy your new career, aviation changes so much and often at high speed, The last 24 years have shot by for me and I wouldn't have missed a minute of them.

FF

P.s G-SXTY is spot on with his opinion (Well, I think so anyway, doubtless others will be along to disagree!)