PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Hold Pool News
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2010, 07:52
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see the business case for requiring only TR pilots as put to the accountants. The Simulator course can be curtailed and there is no requirement for Base Training thus the costs and the chances of failed simulator courses are dramatically reduced.

The primary driver behind this decision could possibly be the current state of the employment market, i.e. depressed. Thus leading to the airline being able to pick and choose suitable type rated applicants. Do not expect that ability to last however.

The onset of the loss of persoanl allowance at £100,000 has prompted many within the company to seek part time to 'cap' earnings at that point. The retirement age restriction that came in 5 years ago is starting to end as pilots relise, at 60, that enough is enough and the medical failure rate starts to climb.

Hence I believe, IMHO, that this is the start of a prolonged recruitment phase to allow the smooth transition into the Iberia merger, the receipt of increased airframes into the long hauls structure and the increase of leisure LH flights out of LGW.

So, if you fit the bill for employment, but don't have the TR then watch this space.

See you on the line!