PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2010, 00:59
ExAscoteer

Location: Sneaking up on the Runway and leaping out to grab it unawares
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Glider Pilot's Tale, Part 1

OK then, these are my Father's memoirs (apologies it will take me a while to type them up):

I grew up until age 12 in Burnley, Lancashire, following which my family moved to Ely, Cambridgeshire, where my parents took over the running of a Pub. Whilst in Lancashire I had read with interest books about the First World War Fighter Aces to the extent that RAF Boy Entrant Service was of some interest. However, having been awarded a scholarship to Soham Grammar School, plus an additional County Scholarship, the thoughts of Boy Entrant Service receded.

When war broke out I was 15 years of age and, like most lads, when the opportunity arose, I joined an ATC Squadron. Cadet service took me to two Bomber Stations, Mildenhall and Waterbeach. At both Stations I saw aircraft crash; at Mildenhall a Wellington, and at Waterbeach 2 Stirlings went in. Despite this I had, and enjoyed, my first flight in a Stirling.

Aside from school and cadet work I built a 12ft kayak and also swam and roller-skated a lot. After leaving school I was employed by the River Great Ouse Catchment Board and commenced studies to become a surveyor. I didn’t realise that I had entered a ‘Reserved Occupation’!

Upon reaching my 18th birthday (17 Aug 1942), as with others, I had to register. By keeping quiet about my ‘Reserved Occupation’, and by volunteering for aircrew in the RAF I followed the usual route via the Aircrew Reception Centre St John's Wood London, finally to RAF Cardington. The some 300 volunteers at this time being examined and checked over a 3 day period, 2 of us were called for immediate service under the then 'PNB' scheme (Pilot, Navigator, Bomb Aimer). The 2 of us were given one week unpaid leave and then required to join the Aircrew Reception Centre in London. I met my colleague after the war – he had failed Flying Training.

Service training took me through the usual route: ITW, Grading School,

(My note based on my Father’s logbook – this was a single trip in a DH82 Tiger Moth with a Sgt Johnson at 13 EFTS, Perth, August [no date specified] 1943)

to No 3 BFTS Miami Oklahoma. There I flew PT19 Cornells and AT-6 Harvards.

(My note: My Father was (according to his Logbook) at 3 BFTS, Miami Oklahoma, from Dec 10 1943 to 10 Jun 1944. He received his 'Wings' on 18 Jun 1944)

As with 95% of successful candidates I graduated as a Sgt Pilot. My flying recommendations were: Fighter Low-Level, Fighter Medium-Level and Fighter High-Level as priorities 1,2 and 3. I had enjoyed my flying training and looked forward to Fighters!

It was at the NCO Pilots' pool at Harrogate when events put me on a different course. We were called to assembly where several high ranking Army Officers endeavored to recruit volunteers to transfer to the Army to become Glider Pilots!

(My note: Operation MARKET GARDEN in Sep 1944 had so denuded the Glider Pilot Regiment of pilots they were desperate to replace them.)

Needless to say the Army Officers were booed off the stage, though a few lads did volunteer. Some 10 days afterwards we were called to assembly again, whereupon we were told: “You either accept secondment to the Glider Pilot Regiment, or you will be transferred to the army as Privates and sent to the Far East as Infantry!”

Last edited by ExAscoteer; 24th Sep 2010 at 21:08.