PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How low can you go
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2002, 06:25
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
.. brings to mind a superb solo display from a few years back ...

Airshow in country Victoria (Australia) ... all very predictable but OK .... the finale was an RAAF ARDU Miracle which was first seen holding out at a modest distance .. making a little smoke ... as the assembled crowd ambled off to their various velocipedes ...... in he came .. and as the roar rolled across the field, the crowd ... in a wave which followed the sound .... turned to witness the following 10 minutes of delightful idiocy ....

Cloudbase was probably 800 feet at the time ..... the display included all the usual things one expects from a Mirage ... including loops into the cloud and bottoming out at, I guess, no more than 15-20 feet above the runway ..... multiple twinkle rolls ... including a few with three or four rolls which I have been told is a no-no due to roll-yaw coupling ..... during one of these (and they were all at a sufficiently low height to see the terrain above the aircraft's flightpath) he got caught and, for a moment, my heart was in my mouth .. but he recovered and got away with it ....... in the end ... they must have radioed to tell him to "go away" .. or words to that effect .... I am sure he was just going to keep enthralling the multitude there present until he got down to bingo fuel .....