PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky X2 coaxial heli developments.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 18:27
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, you are correct. The continuum of hyperbole from the marketing department and the frivolous patents from the legal department do not impress me. They appear to be little more than attempts to maintain image and stock value. Any serious buyer will want to 'look under the hood and kick the tires'.

What does impress me are those manufacturing companies that have innovative engineering departments, which are given the opportunity and the ability to provide new and improved products.

I asked for anyone to provide just one single improvement on the X2-ABC that the engineering personnel did not recommend at the conclusion of the XH-59-ABC. Unfortunately, your response was "the only thing it shares with the XH-59 is that it has a contra-rotating main rotor". Excuse me, but the essence of what the two craft share is the Advancing Blade Concept ~ both its strengths and its warts.

Sikorsky elected to not pursue the ABC concept after the XH-59 lost in competition. However it did acquire a considerable amount of data and the engineering department itemized many specific recommendations for improvement. Therefore I again ask, what is specific and unique to the Advancing Blade Concept, that makes the coaxial version of the ABC so viable today, when it wasn't 30 years ago?

Dave