PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bill Hamilton gives REX 6 months
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2002, 03:33
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaunty

You pushed post twice

I am sure the majority of our members want 'safer', but not 'more expensive'. I don't believe for a minute 10% of safer has to cost 300% of more expensive, but it does

But our members are many fold. We have non-radio (even no electrics, I have one of those) who fly in CTAFs. These are vintage and original and we owners want em to stay that way. So we resist RPT calls for mandatory transponders.

We don't gallop around the skies like idiots though, since many of our aircraft are camoflaged (mine is) we are acutely aware that we are hard to see and can't be heard. So we do our absolute best to not be where they are.

I tried to find the statistics on midairs between non-radio aircraft and RPT or charter (or even GA PVT), there aren't any. How can you get any safer that that???

We have GA (PVT) pilots and commercial operators. The latter are now in the minority (cost cutting) so they can hardly expect their view to predominate. All I can say is that if AOPA does something that doesn't suit a non-member...tough

The rest of the argument on transponders comes from AsA and RPT. Fine, as we have seen elsewhere, go the NZ model, pay for em!!! Then everyone (except aforementioned vintage types) will fit them. Even better, fit Mode S and save save save (along with 'safer')

As for AOPA, if you (all of you) don't agree with the direction, then join and change it. The current direction may not be unanimous within the Board, but it is the majority view. If anyone doesn't like it they can do what I did, get elected and try to change it.

I suppose to summarise, I welcome ideas on safer, especially when topped by an icing of cheaper.

Andrew Kerans
AOPA Director