PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bifocals and rounding out too high
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 10:08
mykul10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bi- vs Varifocals

I have just had to accept that single vision (distance) lenses are no longer adequate, so have got both a pair of varifocals and (cheap) bi focals, both meet the requirements for my medical.

I got the bifocals first and tried them for 10 days - a weird experience - at first I didn't feel happy driving in them - didn't try flying. It was great to be able to look down and read things easily again, but I couldn't get used to them for general use.

Then came the varifocals - instantly much better - I drive and fly in them, with clip on sunglasses as required. They are not quite as good for reading as the bifocals but I can
read the half mill chart no probs. I still can't always read debriefing notes for students, but thats no the fault of the glasses. I will give the bifocals a go next time I fly and report back.

Maybe try varifocals rather than bifocals. My optician was able to give me an idea of a varifocal use before I ordered them with somes big frames and lenses that went over my existing glasses.

As an orchestral musician though teh bifocals are the only glasses that allow me to see the conductor, read the music and read the magazine on my lap! (oops!)