PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway crossing on tower frequency
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 00:41
Blue heaven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wadi/HD, completely correct. I am referring to taxiing, towing and all other traffic movements associated with an active runway.

I see in Australia they differentiate between an Active Runway and a Runway In Use, where a runway may be released to the Ground Controller and is therefore excluded from the procedure - that is, Not In Use. Unfortunately the link provided to the Australian site does not connect, but I have seen it elsewhere.

Eurocontrol also did some (heaps) of work on this as well I think? They came up with the same reccomendation as ICAO in having all traffic on the same frequency when opertaing on the runway, to improve situation awareness.

So researching the use of the procedure, I am looking for understanding of where, how and effectiveness of this guidance elsewhere.

To me is seems a no-brainer. Looking at the human factor presentation given by the Dutch professor (thanks Wao for the link), situation awareness comes out strongly; Same frequency, same language would seem to be the theme that can influence this issue most?

BH