PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "No - really - I wasn't chopped - honestly!"
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 17:20
Failed_Scopie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't chopped - "No - really - I wasn't chopped - honestly!" - I PVR'd. The callowness of youth, a misplaced sense of entitlement, intellectual arrogance, all were ascribed to me and all, to a degree, were true. However, while I sometimes wonder what might have been, I don't actually regret it. At the end of the day, I simply did not wish to become a Fighter Controller, and nothing that I have seen or heard about since has actually disuaded me from this point of view. I was sent on leave, hung around at CHOM for a bit and crossed the road to OASC for further interviews and branch re-selection. In the end, though, it made no difference - I wished to leave and after a very uncomfortable interview with the 2* at Cranditz, was granted my wish. By October that year I was a Lt in the Royal Corps of Signals and almost 11 years later am now a fairly senior post sub-unit command SO2 (not an overwhelming achievement I know, but further than I think I would have gone in the RAF). I meant to return to Cranwell next year for a course at the AWC - it'll be emotional...