PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "No - really - I wasn't chopped - honestly!"
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 11:58
XN593

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How I was chopped

Dear All,
What a great thread. It has prompted me to write only my 3rd post.
I had always wanted to be a pilot. I joined the Air Cadets at 13, was awarded a gliding scholarship in 1970 followed by a Flying Scholarship in 1971. With the financial help from my parents I clocked up the necessary hours to complete my PPL. I joined the RAF and went through Helow (275 course) where my Flight Commander was a Navigator from Malta. Then it was straight on to Church Fenton and as I had a PPL a short chipmunk course. I did 13 hours and one solo before leaving for Linton. And now I started to be air sick. Nevertheless, on the 12th Feb 1974 after 11 hours I went solo on XN593. The fateful flight came 9 days later. I had done a few flights on my own and this one was a dual nav ex in the morning with the solo version later that day. During the flight I threw up and started hyperventilating. My fingers locked onto the coming and I needed an injection to relax my muscles before I could get out. Recovering in the ward my medical became A1G1Z1. The diagnosis was an indirect expression of emotion. I was medically retired and became Pilot Officer Smith (RAF Retd). I was 20.

I would much rather have been chopped because I was no good. At least then I would have known. Reading the forums brings back memories of things I missed. Would I want to be Beagle or Lightning Mate, you bet. I have no reason to doubt the medical assessment. There was no option of the spin table. I would love to go back with the knowledge that experience & maturity bring and to be able to fly without the nerves of youth. Could I have hacked it? If Flt Lt Anders is out there, how did I do?

I am saddened by some of the changes that have befallen the RAF. Are there really no crew rooms anymore? And so many stations gone.

Enough of this soppy sentimental stuff, must go and buy a ticket for Fridays Euromillions. XN593 is languishing in some hangar in the US. Everything is possible.

Regards to all who got the chop. I wonder if my dayglow axe is still stuck on the crew room ceiling.

P.S. I have never been air sick since.