PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nine Dead in Fox Glacier Crash, New Zealand
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 11:26
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not knowing the airspace classification you were flying in but dropping through cloud is permitted in controlled airspace. At 7/8ths I guess they were descending through a Hole? if outside controlled airspace - and at any rate, presuming calls were made by the pilot that dropping was in progress, why would you be flying over/through the 'descent' area?
The airspace they were jumping into was uncontrolled, although it is possible they started out in controlled airspace. However the cloudbase on both occasions was around 500' below the upper limit of uncontrolled airspace, which is a no-no.

They may have been aiming for a hole, but they missed it on both occasions (by quite a margin).

remoak (and others) you really should make an effort to understand cloud jumping manuals and whether the operator has them before criticising.
Sorry but as an aircraft operator with no interest whatsoever in skydiving, I don't see any reason at all why I should study skydiving manuals. Would you like me to get an ag rating too, just in case I one day encounter a cropduster?

Better that skydivers obey the rules. Most do, of course.