PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - InstallIQUpdater
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 10:57
Euravia First

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
InstallIQUpdater

I have noticed that "InstallIQUpdater.... " has appeared in my Windows XP Task Manager. It uses between approx 4500 and 6500K of memory at various times.

Looking in add or remove programs via control panel, I find that Install IQUpdater is indeed now in the list of programs. It states 1.02MB and Used rarely. The option exists to remove it.

I do not know how "InstallIQUpdater" came to be installed. It was not there the last time I looked a month or so ago.
I recently accepted an unsolicited on screen offer from Norton to download their Bootable Recovery Tool so I am wondering if this is connected with the appearance of "InstallIQUpdater". Since I use Norton Internet Security 2010 I assumed that accepting their offer to download a recovery tool would be harmless and might be useful in the event of future problems.

Can anyone please say whether "InstallIQUpdater" is harmless? Can anyone say whether uninstalling it [via add or remove programs or via the remove option that also appears under its name in the main list of programs accessed via start -- all programs] would be wise? I have no wish to allocate 6500K of my relatively small 500MB computer RAM in this way unless it is necessary.

I have tried to find clear and reliable information by using Google and Yahoo. I have also attempted to find information by searching the Norton site but no reference to "InstallIQUpdater" was to be found. I shall be grateful to know whether it can be safely and harmlessly removed.