PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAVEX for BFR??
Thread: NAVEX for BFR??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2010, 04:00
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CAAP 5.81-1(1) has been amended to reflect CASA's recommendation to include of a navigation exercise as part of a flight review as a result of investigation of recent accidents and incidents by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB).
Is this an example of yet another well-intended, but largely ineffectual requirement?

I don't know the details but I suspect that the incidents that have prompted this amemdment occurred well away from the pilots home base - in an area with which they were not familiar. How many people actually get lost in their home patch?

So how do you fix this? Have pilots fly 1 hr away from home to another aerodrome, give them a diversion to somewhere else, and then return to home base? In a C172/PA28 they would never be more than 100 nm from home. Chances are they can look out the window and think, "Oh, there is Aunt Nancy's place over there"!

I recall when validating my NZ CPL on a test with a DCA examiner, out near Dalby, on top of scattered cloud, I was asked, "Show me on the map where we are".
Me: "There"!
Examiner: "How do you know that"?
Me: "Cause that's where we are"!
Examiner: "If we were 5 nm left of track (which we weren't), what correction would you make to have us arrive over the top of your destination"?
Me: "Ohhh, you want me to do that 1:60 thing. Why didn't you just say so"?
Examiner: "Yes, you Kiwi pilots can't navigate for nuts"!

Never did tell the prick that I had 500+ hrs of flying around that area, and he never looked far enough back in my log book to see that I learnt to fly at Archerfield.

I am not knocking the need for some to do a navex, but I don't see the need to mandate. Should be worked out with the instructor doing the BFR, as to what is required.

What's next? Mandated flight into a control zone? That's gonna make for an expensive BFR for pilots living in somewhere like Longreach!

Dr

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 22nd Sep 2010 at 06:28.